Vehicle Simulation Online Module
Our Vehicle Simulation Online Module took place on the Saturday 17 October 2020.
Taught by expert tutors, this module covered:
- types of simulation tools race teams use
- explanation of what makes up a vehicle model and how to develop one
- hints and tips for optimising vehicle models
- how F1 teams utilise static and quasi-static simulation
Cristina Mañas Fernández - Performance Engineer
Cristina began her motorsport career at Campos Racing Tech, and now works in Formula E for Panasonic Jaguar Racing. Her role includes correlation and analysis of offline simulations tools as well as Driver In the Loop to optimise car balance on track.
Edwin de Vries – Senior Vehicle Dynamics Engineer
After graduating from Delft University of Technology, Edwin became a Researcher then assistant Professor at the Dutch University. Since 2013, Edwin has been developing complex vehicle models for Cruden’s advanced simulator solutions for motorsport customers
Guillermo F. Pezzetto – Senior Global Product Manager Racing
Guillermo has been racing since 1998 and has worked on projects for a variety of championships including F1, F2, F3, LMP1, LMP2 and GT. He has been involved in race engineering, suspension and gearbox design as well as vehicle dynamics and joined AVL in 2011.
Mark Catherall - Co-Founder
Mark has over 8 years experience in F1 simulation development having worked at McLaren Racing and Scuderia Ferrari. In 2016 he co-founded Canopy Simulations which utilises cloud computing to provide lap time simulation, vehicle modelling and setup exploration to F1 and Formula E teams.
Sergio Rinland - Managing Director
With over 40 years experience in motorsport, Sergio has been the Chief Designer at Brabham F1, Dallara, Sauber Racing and Arrows Grand Prix. He has also worked for the likes of Benetton F1, Pankl, Tata Motors and AVL. Now he is Managing Director of his own engineering consultancy Astauto.
Past Module programme:
Session 1 – How race teams use vehicle simulations
- Insight into the types of simulation tools race teams use to predict and optimise the vehicle dynamics of their racecar
Session 2 – Vehicle modelling
- Explanation of what makes up a vehicle model and how to develop one
- Hints and tips for optimising vehicle models to ensure they run accurately and reliably
Session 3 – F1 vehicle simulations
- How F1 teams utilise static and quasi-static simulations featuring live demonstrations with Canopy Simulations
On successful completion of the Online Module, graduates are awarded an industry-recognised certificate of completion from the MIA.